Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. There are further special provisions which apply to the collection of some personal information which is known as sensitive information. This includes health information and information about a persons’ race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences and criminal history. Other than member’s contact details, gender and professional information the BSGI does not hold other information on any member.
Collection of personal information by us
We are required to collect personal information in order to be able to provide our members with requested services. The kinds of personal information we collect and store will depend on the services you request from us. It may include amongst other things:
- Personal information you give us when you request a service from us. This information may include your opinion/preferences about specific services, your name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail address, credit card details
- Communications between you and us and
- Information about your use of our products and services such as your feedback on our website, meetings and educational material
How your personal information will be used
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities which include, amongst other things:
- Processing your requests
- Being aware of any special product and service requirements you may have
- Providing you with confirmation of your orders and advising you of any changes to our products and services
- Confirming your identity when you contact us
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have
- Answering any queries you may have; and
- Any purposes for which it was requested and directly related purposes, and developing, improving and marketing our products and services
Use and disclosure of personal information by us
If we use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the “secondary purpose”) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (the “primary purpose”), to the extent required by law, we will ensure that:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- You have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- The use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by law (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
Collection of information other than personal information
If you visit our website, some of the information we and/or our contractors collect about your visit to our website is not personal information because it does not reveal your identity.
Information of this nature can include:
Site visit information
When you visit our website, we and/or our contractors collect general information about your visit which may include your server address, the date and time of your visit, the pages you accessed, the information you downloaded and the type of Internet browser you used.
We and/or our contractors may use this information in anonymous, aggregated form, for statistical purposes only, to assist us in improving the quality and usability of our website.
A cookie is a small string of information that a website transfers to your browser for identification purposes. The cookies we and/or our contractors use may identify individual users. Cookies can either be “persistent” or “session” based. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer, contain an expiration date, and are mainly for the user’s convenience. Session cookies are short-lived and are held on your browser’s memory only for the duration of your session; they are used only during a browsing session, and expire when you quit your browser.
We and/or our contractors may use both session and persistent cookies. This information may be used to personalise your current visit to our and our contractors’ websites. Upon closing your browser, the session cookie is destroyed. Most Internet browsers can be set to accept or reject cookies. If you do not want to accept cookies, you can adjust your Internet browser to reject cookies or to notify you when they are being used. However, rejecting cookies may limit the functionality of our website.
If you have a complaint about the way we have dealt with your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make all reasonable attempts to respond to your complaints or requests.
Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries about the personal information that we hold about you or the way we handle that personal information.
Policy updated April 2018